Tuesday, March 27, 2012


For most people, how one approaches food is a very important part of their lives.  I know of only one person who eats because she has to.  She sometimes forgets to eat until long past mealtimes, often makes a meal of yogurt and cereal and doesn’t understand what all the fuss is about the family preparation of food and gathering for holiday celebrations at the dining room table.  The rest of my community is like me, using food as a community organizer, for family celebrations and an emotional stabilizer.   In my house when growing up, pasta, cheese and meatballs were the go to foods that made you feel happy when sad, calm when agitated and at peace when all around you was mayhem.   The best food ever, was the fresh made Italian loaf dunked in the bubbling pot of tomato sauce.   One can see how it is a daunting challenge to change that behavior. 

But, I am absolutely certain that those are foods that are responsible for all adult onset chronic disease, joint pain and swelling, heart disease, muscle aches and pain and the fastest growing one of all, adult onset diabetes.  And, by the way, I think it is time to change the name as it is turning up more and more in teens. 

I am fortunate to have a loving husband and loyal companion (that’s Digger, my Rottie mix, not my husband, although he is very loyal as well) in my life, but this lifestyle change would be far easier if I were a hermit.  Because my husband and Digger aren’t participating in this change of diet, it means there will be temptations surrounding me at all times.  I opened the refrigerator this morning and my eyes immediately settled on two crème brulees left from the weekend, a bowl of fettucini alfredo and bacon.   Kickoff to this challenge is in 4 days.  Wow, this is going to be tougher than I thought!    Buon Appetito, Angela B

No comments: